Merlin Series 3 episode 2 *spoilers*
I watched episode two again today – it was brilliant! I don’t understand why it isn’t being shown on BBC HD, though. There isn’t anything particularly interesting on BBC HD while Merlin is on…Oh well, maybe we’ll get it in HD later on. Also, why is Merlin on at the same time as X factor? That’s like suicide! It will lose so many viewers…They were on at slightly different times last week, I think, so I don’t know whether ITV have started a viewer war or whether this was bad planning but the BBC should probably put Merlin on at 6:30 so people can watch both.
Anyway, to the episode!
The battle in this was pretty good, even if nobody died. At all. Seriously, I saw one person get stabbed but Arthur helped him up and he walked away again! Ah well, I only noticed this by looking very carefully and I thought they used the sound well to show how big the battle actually was. It was also very Lord of the Rings-y (army of the dead, huge chanting army besieging the citadel etc.) and I’m not saying that’s a bad thing – I love LoTR! The battles were pretty well done!
There was a lot of character development in this episode, here’s what we learned:
- Merlin is rubbish at sword fighting and will always resort to the traditional ‘random wall of fire’ or ‘drop boulders on baddie’s head’ methods. Or, better yet, he’ll get someone else to help him! (But we already knew this.)
- Arthur and Gwen are getting all gooey again. I expect some sort of huge romance plot line this series.
- Arthur has an inability to look after himself/find his own pants and socks without Merlin. What I want to know is what did he do BEFORE Merlin came to Camelot?
- Arthur likes to eat pickled eggs for breakfast or, at least, Merlin thinks he does.
- Merlin is now wise. With wisdom!
The next episode looks like it’ll be a funny one. It seems like Gaius gets possessed by a goblin of some sort and lots of burp/fart related gags will ensue. My brother thinks this will be a filler episode to get us back into the normal plot lines after these two awesome finale-style episodes but I guess I’ll just have to wait and see.
For the love of Camelot!